Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Spider

First of all, let me just say that it's great that I don't have a paralyzing fear of spiders. For if I did, I would NEVER be able to live alone as I am doing now.

Ok, so - This morning, as I was leisurely getting ready for work, I noticed that my kitten was freaking out trying to get something underneath my vanity. Thinking it was a spider, I decided to help him out a little (my kitten, not the spider). I look under my vanity and there's this big black hairy thing as big as my fingernail.

That was when I freaked out.

I grabbed my kitten and tossed him out of my bedroom. Then I race to the kitchen to grab a glass and trap the horribly ugly spider. Now I don't know what to do with it so I am frantically looking for a jar to keep the spider in so that I can look at it up close. I am alternately fascinated and grossed out. I also have to contend with the kitten, who's only desire is to eat the little beast. Finally I find a jar and switch it for the cup. Then I try to flip the jar over using a piece of paper, so that I could screw the top on. Well, the spider escapes...and starts crawling up the jar.

Now this is where I really lost it. It's not that I'm afraid of spiders, but I don't like the skittering.... So I dropped the jar and take a huge step back, saying "Ohcrap ohcrap!" (Pull it together, seriously!!) Kitten jumps on spider, Lyndsie jumps on Kitten. Tosses kitten away and closes bedroom door. Luckily, this is not a fast spider. Gets the spider under control, under the jar. Finally manage to turn jar over with out spider escaping. Mission accomplished.

The spider - as big as my fingernail, black, hairy, little white dots on its abdomen, iridescent-looking mandible things and beady little spider eyes. Call me paranoid, but I don't want my kitten eating THAT!

Oh, and here's a funny random exchange between new coworker Seth and me:

Me: It's a lower case epsilon.
Seth: Epsilon is stupid
Me: Maybe epsilon thinks YOU'RE stupid!
Seth: Well epsilon can go suck it.

No comments: